About The Futuro Media Group | The Futuro Media Group is an independent non-profit media organization dedicated to producing multimedia journalism that explores and gives voice to the diversity of the American experience. The Futuro Media Group works in the public interest, informing the public about compelling narratives, real lives and important stories often overlooked by mainstream media. Founded in April 2010 by award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa, The Futuro Media Group is the producer of the award-winning “Latino USA” radio program, which has run on National Public Radio for more than 20 years. In 2012, our first full-length television program aired: “America By The Numbers with Maria Hinojosa: Clarkston Georgia,” which explores issues of changing demographics and the “new mainstream:” immigration, democracy, civic engagement, and what it means to be an American.
About The Internship—Radio | The Futuro Media Group seeks self-starters to aid in the production of the weekly National Public Radio show Latino USA. The show has been on air for 20 years and is a trusted source for news and cultural trends affecting Latinos in the U.S. The show is distributed by NPR and produced by The Futuro Media Group. The staff is small, so there is a lot of room to do meaningful work.
Depending on skill level and show production needs, interns will:
· Prepare and update databases of sources and organizations;
· Respond to email and phone queries;
· Research segment topics and interview subjects;
· Pre-interview subjects before they come to studio;
· Participate in editorial and production meetings;
· Research and gather materials for show website;
· Produce and/or assemble multimedia components for show website;
· Assist in assembling the weekly show website and email newsletter;
· Assist in reporting and recording audio for stories produced in-house;
· Assist in writing some simple scripts for host interviews;
· Assist in editing audio from studio interviews;
· Develop and produce 1-3 stories for radio.
· Advanced matriculated college student—graduate or advanced undergraduate
· Good people skills, personable, punctual, and mature.
· Self-directed and can work with a team in a fast-paced, extremely dynamic office environment.
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· Excellent, snappy, vibrant writing, especially for radio and web;
· Ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines;
· Ability to work independently;
· Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor and other team members;
· Ability to research and become an “instant expert” on any subject;
· Familiarity with news outlets from around the country;
· Familiarity with policy and cultural trends, as well as with socioeconomic and racial/ethnic demographics of communities around the U.S.;
· Familiarity with news and people research databases such as LexisNexis, Factiva;
· Familiarity with radio production process;
· Familiarity with radio recording equipment and with sound editing software (ProTools);
· Familiarity with html coding, web design and WordPress templates.
· Good writing, extremely detail oriented, good at QA checking and copy-editing
· Ability to understand workflow for big and small projects
· Strong interest in public media/progressive voices
Send cover letter outlining how your interests, skills and experiences line up with what Latino USA does, as well as a resume and a writing sample of no more than 3 pages, something that shows off your mastery of style and content and resume to Nancy Trujillo, Internship Coordinator, at email@example.com with the subject line: Radio Intern Application. No calls please. If you have produced radio, please send 1-2 samples of work as .mp3s or .wav files.