Skill-building internship in Manhattan/Long Island. Small travel expense voucher available. Details below.
The Standby Program is seeking an intern to apprentice in our video and audio preservation program. Interns will gain valuable hands on experience and participate in the day-to-day workings of a magnetic media preservation facility designed specifically to address the needs of the arts and cultural community.
Standby is a non-profit media arts service organization founded 28 years ago that provides artists with access to a variety of media technology by forming partnerships with commercial post-production facilities. Standby preservation clients include:
Anthology Film Archives, Appalshop, Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art (MACBA), Dia Arts, Estate Project for Artists with AIDS, Experimental Television Center, Franklin Furnace, Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center, The Kitchen, Mix Festival NYC, Muse TV, Museum of Modern Art, Museum of the Moving Image, New York Public Library, Orphans Symposium, The Poetry Project, as well as a host of individual artists.
Intern candidates should have an interest in experimental film and video, time based art, and social issue media. Work will take place in both our Manhattan and Long Island facilities. A small stipend will be provided to offset travel expenses.
Skills acquired may include:
• Archival handling of magnetic materials
• Tape inspection and evaluation
• Operation of waveform monitors, vectorscopes and audio meters
• Operation of time base correctors and proc amps
• Equipment maintenance and repair
• Tape migration
• Metadata collection and database entry
• Understanding of basic audio and video production
• Familiarity with Mac based editing systems
• Knowledge of signal flow and connectors
• Experience in a library, archive, museum, post-production or media access facility
• A desire to learn about the technical aspects of magnetic media preservation and conservation
Interested applicants should e-mail a resume and cover letter to:
245 W 55th St., 10th Fl.
New York, NY 10019