Classification: Part-time (28 hours/week), Exempt (Salaried)
Reports to: Word of Mouth Senior Producer
Responsibility and Objective:
The Associate Producer, Arts and Culture for NHPR’s midday show Word of Mouth is responsible for executing the daily production of the show and its associated content, with a focus on arts and culture content. The Producer generates segment ideas, produces segments, books and pre-interviews guests, conducts research, writes scripts, edits audio, finds and prepares pieces for air from a variety of sources, generates content for the program website and contributes to the social media activity for the show. The Associate Producer also prepares subsequent broadcasts of segment material beyond the show’s regular timeslot, such as interview excerpts and arts content appropriate for broadcast in NHPR newscasts. This position works closely with the Executive Producer, Producer, Host, VP for Programming and interns and volunteers to achieve the goals and objectives of Word of Mouth. This position also interacts with the News Director, Newscast Producer, and Digital department to coordinate placement of content across platforms.
• One year experience in production of radio programming, preferably in public broadcasts OR two years experience in digital/multimedia arts and culture coverage
• Demonstrated ability to seek out the unexpected source for a good story idea
• Demonstrated ability to deliver consistent quality work under strict deadlines
• Experience with Adobe Audition or similar audio editing programs, broadcast automation systems, HTML or XHTML web-posting, and Microsoft Office programs
• Experience in digital editing and digital media production
• Understanding of social media best practices
• Excellent editorial judgment and understanding of public radio core values
• Demonstrated excellent writing skills, including radio script writing. Arts writing experience for print or digital a plus.
• Keen sensibility for seeking out interesting, compelling and innovative topics
• Demonstrated radio editing and production skills. Editing and/or production skills in other digital or print formats a plus.
• Technologically versatile with willingness to expand skills
• Ability to find new and interesting angles on stories and determine best means of delivery, including most appropriate media formats to effectively tell the story
• Knowledge of relevant FCC rules and regulations
• Computer literacy required; Microsoft Office suite, digital editing and broadcast delivery programs, HTML/web editing, blogging and social media
• B.A. in relevant field or equivalent experience